DIY Projects That I Have Attempted

This is the place on the internet where I post reviews and photos of DIY projects that I have discovered along my journey.

The first one is a sound dampening shield that is supposed to do the job of a microphone reflection filter, which can cost up to several hundred dollars more than the ten dollar price tag of this project. I am sure there is much more that goes into the design and construction of the professional product, but for ten dollars, I had to give this one a shot. My completed project looks about like the one in the video. It was as easy to assemble as described. I am not completely sure of how much impact it has, because I have only used it in one studio, and that was as an attempt to stop some high-end reflections from leaking into an omni-directional microphone. I imagine it would be handy in a small vocal both. The area where I record vocals is much larger, so reflections are not so much an issue. However, it really seems to make my recording studio at least appear more credible.


This next project is terrific. I made two of these shockmounts for my Behringer ECM8000 condenser microphones, which I use as overheads for my drum set. The idea is to separate from the microphone from the microphone stand. This will prevent outside noises and sound vibrations from being transmitted to the microphone via the stand. The microphone is suspended by rubber bands, which keeps it isolated. I have had no complaints. I will post pics soon.

The cartridge on my Shure SM57 perished, so it was time for some experimenting. I did the “TapeOp” mod and the following right-angle mod at the same time. It still sounds great, even without the transformer. The volume is a bit lower, but since this is now my dedicated snare drum microphone (the reason for the right-angle mod), input volume is no issue.

Shure SM57 Right-Angle Mod

For the following DIY project, I compressed about 18″ of fluffy fiberglass insulation into a frame and held it in place with chicken wire. This gave me a density comparable to the professional acoustic products. Then I covered it with a non-reflective material that is breathable. If your are not sure, then test it yourself. Blow into it and check to see if the air flows freely through to the other side.

DIY Bass Traps

The following I have yet to attempt, but it is definitely on the agenda… as soon as I find some time. It is an isolation box for a guitar amplifier cabinet. This makes it possible to mic and record a loud amplifier in a quiet setting. It also allows for the isolation of the amplifier when recording multiple instruments in the same room simultaneously.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share